Keep Austin Fed is a volunteer based 501(c)(3) nonprofit that gathers surplus food from restaurants, grocery stores, etc. keeping it out of the waste stream and delivering it to area charities serving people in need.
SPECIAL NOTE: In order to become a full volunteer, see our full calendar, and register for a food run, you must attend a 1.5-2 hour orientation which includes a 30 minute training session and ~ 1 hour of sorting, weighing, loading and delivering surplus food to a recipient. You also need to obtain a food handler's certification which can take up to 2 hours to complete (online). See the steps below for what to do next.
1. Request to join Keep Austin Fed
IMPORTANT: Look for the "Become a member" button underneath Keep Austin Fed's name. Click on this to complete your request to join Keep Austin Fed.
2. Register for a Shadow Run/Orientation - You can find them listed on the calendar below (located on the main Keep Austin Fed givepulse page).
3. Read the KAF Volunteer Handbook
4. Earn a food handler certificate – it costs $9.95 for 2 years. Please register your certification with us by filing an impact with this event Submit Food Handler Certificate.
5. Once you're approved for membership, you'll be able to see and sign up for all open food runs, marked in blue below.
6. If you have a question, – e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
KAF is entirely volunteer run, which means it often takes us time to respond to requests because we all juggle jobs, family life, and volunteer work. Thanks so much for your interest in helping Keep Austin Fed!
|Social||Website Facebook Twitter Instagram|
|Causes||Community Environment Food Insecurity, Hunger|
|Sustainable Development Goals|
1,313 People | 18,234 Impacts | 25,595 Hours | 568,212 Total Economic Impact